It was only after being on the road backpacking in Asia for 6 months, that I noticed a drastic change in my skin. It was hard to continue practicing skincare routines on the road that I was used to at home. In addition, traveling with a carry on sized bag does not give me the luxury to travel will all my toiletries and skincare products. I realize that this can be hard for others as well, particularly those traveling long term! During my travels to S. Korea, I learnt a lot about skin care and K-beauty products and decided to step up my skincare and “self-care” game. Here are 5 skin care tips for the long term traveler – learnt from the Koreans – that are essential and easy to practice.
Although these tips have been inspired from my K-beauty research, they don’t require any specific K-beauty products. If you interested in K-beauty products, check out our post detailing specific Eco and Green K-beauty brands to lookout for.
The 5 Essential Skin Care Tips for the Long Term Traveler:
- It’s all about hydrating and then moisturizing your skin with products that lock in the water content. This helps to protect and nourish your skin. Some hydrating ingredients to look out for in your products are: aloe vera, honey, hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate and glycerin. Also, avoid using abrasive alcohols. For moisturizing, use nourishing botanical oils.
- Don’t rub, pat! Patting is the way to better skin. Instead of rubbing in, Koreans have been patting on layers of their skin care products for centuries. This helps to increase absorption, circulation and even hydration! In fact, a good idea is to ditch the towel and use your fingers to pat dry your face. Pat, pat and pat away!
- Protect yourself from the sun at ALL times! Use sunscreen, even on cloudy days! I used to skip this step as I wasn’t a believer. Now, if I know I’m going to be out in the sun for more than 30 mins, I always lather on my favorite sunscreen.
- Have a skin first attitude and make it part of your lifestyle so it doesn’t feel like a chore. Soon, like me, you will relish the time you spend on yourself and your skin! Koreans spend time in “jimjibangs” or bathhouses, get massages, facials, double cleanse, use treatments and apply sheet mask all the time. While we travel, I follow through on my 7-step routine and sheet mask when possible.
- Drink lots of water, eat plenty fruits and vegetables and exercise! True beauty and skin comes from within and so what you eat is very important. Stay off processed foods, excess coffee and tea, and limit your sugar consumption. Get moving! Take the stairs, skip uber rides and walk those short distances, get your yoga on, dance to your favorite music… do something everyday to stay active for results that will last a life time!
Before traveling to South Korea, I was fortunate to come across K-beauty, and understand how beneficial it can be. It has been three months since I started using K-beauty products and it has begun to make a difference in the quality of my skin. My 2 step skin care routine has graciously morphed into a 7 to 10 step routine. As mentioned above, these steps primarily ensure that my skin stays hydrated and moisturized.
To buy K-beauty products, I recommend Glow Recipe (get 15% off your purchase using this link). They are skincare fanatics and focus on natural, harsh-free beauty products. You can also try Peach and Lily and Soko Glam. These are all great resources and provide a wealth of information about skincare. ** Always be careful when buying K-beauty products from Amazon as there are many fakes!
I hope you found this post useful. Comment below if you have other thoughts or “nuggets” on k-beauty!